NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Photography
This OFQUAL regulated qualification is ideal for learners who wish to further develop their skills and knowledge in photo-imaging. Learners will obtain the knowledge and practice necessary to produce, mount and present high-quality prints from their image files.
The qualification provides learners with a good insight into the skills and knowledge they require, not only for working in the photo-imaging sector, but generic, transferable skills that all employers would welcome, such as reflective practice, self-assessment, target setting, receiving and giving feedback, presentation skills.
The Royal Photographic Society (RPS) has endorsed this qualification.
The qualification is also supported by higher education institutions offering higher-level provision in the Creative Arts and Media sector.
Aims of the Course
These are to:
- Develop advanced photography knowledge and skills
- Enable learners to specialise in the areas of photography that interest them most
- Allow learners to research options for employment in the industry
- Explore the correct techniques to prepare a digital camera for use
- Explore the creative effects of using camera controls and the visual effects produced by using different lenses
- Use image-processing software and learn the basics of safe working practices
This qualification consists of 2 mandatory units and 5 optional units. Mandatory Units are:
- Use camera techniques to creatively control visual outcomes
- Print and present a portfolio of photographs
Learners must also choose at least 1 unit from the following 5 optional units:
- Studio photography
- Location photography
- Commercial photography
- Documentary photography
- Experimental and alternative process photography
- Presenting a portfolio of photographic images
- Image documentation and storage
How the Course is Delivered
This course is delivered via a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) which provides access to case studies, learning materials and activities, presentations and web links. Online tutor support and guidance is provided throughout the course, where learners can interact with the tutors, get feedback on their progress and submit their work electronically. This helps you to build the relevant skills progressively, as you receive feedback and support from your tutor during this time.
Face to face interactions will be conducted through video sessions.
A mix of assessments will be used – portfolio of evidence, presentations.