CIOL-Diploma in Translation Level 7
The Diploma in Translation is a postgraduate level (Masters) qualification intended for working translators and for those who, having reached a high level of linguistic competence, wish to embark on a career in professional translation. It is available to candidates with a level equivalent to a good university degree in one or more modern languages.
This course will develop your translation skills and you will be able to translate from a source language to target language at a professional level. This course assesses and rewards basic professional competence in translating from any language into English or from English into any other language, and also within other language combinations that do not include English.
Candidates are required to have an appropriate level of writing skills in their target language.
Aims of the Course
- an understanding of the dynamics of translating, ie, a consideration of source text and author, expected readership and the cultural setting of the source and target languages.
- the search for translation equivalences and other translation procedures such as transfer and naturalisation.
- types of register and style, their implications and some experience in handling concepts and terminology in both languages of the examination.
- an awareness of translation problems and possible solutions to specific problems relating to proper names, abbreviations, conversions, weights and measures etc. such as translator’s notes.
- an awareness of text typology and types of translation and, in particular, of the appropriateness of semantic as opposed to communicative translation .
How this course is structured?
The course structure corresponds to that of the DipTrans examination. The complete course consists of three five-week sessions, each preparing for one unit of the DipTrans:
- Unit 1: General translation
- Unit 2: Semi-specialised translation (technology, business or literature) .
- Unit 3: Semi- specialised translation (science, social science or law).
The first four weeks of each unit will be devoted to translation of specific texts and feedback on individual translations. The fifth week will be allocated to revision, giving students an opportunity to ask individual questions and address various translation problems which may have arisen during the course of the unit.
After successful completion of this course, you will receive Diploma In Translation at Level 7 Awarded by Chartered Institute of Linguists UK.
The Diploma in Translation qualification has been accredited by the United Kingdom’s Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) for entry into the Qualifications Credit Framework at Level 7.
In Addition to that, successful candidates are entitled to use the designation ‘DipTrans IoLET’ and may be eligible to apply for Membership or Associate Membership of the CIOL.
Arabic, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin
Mode of study
Online, distance learning
Contact us for course fee and payment options
How you can enrol for this course
To enquire about fees and the special offer contact us today on 02086588536, 02082496340 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org