Level 2 Certificate in Travel and Tourism
This OFQUAL regulated qualification provides an in-depth insight into travel and tourism with an understanding of the principles of the travel and tourism industry and allow them to explore the various avenues of work within this industry.
Learners will develop knowledge and understanding of key concepts such as customer service, hospitality in travel and tourism, organising an event, impact of travel and tourism provision on a host community, knowledge about airport and airlines, career planning, heritage tourism etc. The qualification focuses on the development of skills and knowledge to support working in the travel and tourism industry.
This qualification is mapped against National Occupational Standards (NOS) in Travel and Tourism.
Aims of the course
These are to:
- gain transferable skills that can be applied to the workplace
- provide learners with an understanding of the principles of the travel and tourism industry and allow them to explore the various avenues of work within this industry
- allow learners to gain transferable skills that can be applied to the workplace or further study.
- Understand what attracts tourists to destinations including factors that attract tourists to destinations
- understand factors influencing promotional activity in travel and tourism
- Produce different types of promotional materials for a travel and tourism product or service
- UK Travel and tourism industry
- understanding package holidays
While completing these qualifications, learners may develop the knowledge, understanding and essential skills employers look for in employees. These range from familiar ‘key skills’ such as team working, independent learning and problem solving, to more tricky-to-measure skills such as:
- an appreciation for appropriate behaviour and dress
- appropriate interpersonal skills
- communicating with professional colleagues/peers and/or hierarchical seniors
- supporting other aspiring employees
- personal manners and deportment
- understanding work practices and how different roles and departments function within an organisation
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in Travel and Tourism, learners are required to successfully complete 2 graded mandatory units and 2 graded optional units.
- Unit 01 Customer service in travel and tourism
- Unit 02 The UK travel and tourism industry
Optional Units could include:
- Unit 03 Travel and tourism destinations
- Unit 04 Promotion in travel and tourism
- Unit 05 UK purpose-built visitor attractions
- Unit 06 Understanding package holidays
- Unit 07 Travel agency operations
- Unit 08 Hospitality in travel and tourism
- Unit 09 Impact of travel and tourism provision on a host community
- Unit 10 Career planning for travel and tourism
How the course is delivered
This Level 2 Certificate in Travel and Tourism is delivered via blended learning. Learners also get full access to online Learning Environment (VLE) which provides access to case studies, learning materials and activities, presentations, and web links. Online tutor support and guidance is provided throughout the course, where learners can interact with the tutors, get feedback on their progress and submit their work electronically. Face to face interactions will be conducted through video sessions or within the classroom environment.