Level 3 Diploma in Policing (540)
This qualification aims to provide you with an in-depth understanding of the principles of the police service and will allow you to explore various areas of work within it. You will develop transferable skills that can be used in the workplace or applied in further study. These include: leadership skills, conflict management, teamwork, navigation, physical fitness, an understanding of personal commitment and equality, diversity and inclusion.
The main objective of the qualification is to allow learners to progress towards the entry requirements of the police service or further study. Its aim is to provide informed and prepared potential recruits.
The qualification has been developed with subject experts to ensure that the content is relevant and meets the needs of employers.
Aims of the course
These are to:
- Develop an understanding of the police service
- Provide an opportunity to investigate career opportunities in the police service
- Develop an ability to prepare for the entry process
- Develop an understanding of the personal commitment and fitness requirements needed to be employed in policing
- Develop an understanding of the external organisations that impact on and influence the work of the police service
- Develop an understanding of how the police service responds in emergency situations
- Provide an opportunity to understand and develop the skills and qualities needed to work in the police service, e.g. leadership skills, conflict management, personal protection, teamwork, navigation.
Objectives of the course
The objectives of these qualifications are to:
- Allow learners to progress to employment, further study and towards the entry qualifications and requirements of the police service
- Provide workplaces with informed and prepared potential candidates
The units for this programme have been selected to offer learners the best opportunities for progression both academically and professionally. In order to achieve the Level 3 Diploma in Policing(540) learners must complete 3 mandatory units plus 6 optional units
Mandatory units are:
- Prepare for a career in the police service
- Develop leadership skills
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
Learners will be provided with a list of optional units at the time of enrolment to choose from. Learners need to choose 6 optional units to successfully complete this qualification.
Essential skills that learners will gain are:
While completing these qualifications, learners may develop the knowledge, understanding and essential skills employers look for in employees. These range from familiar ‘key skills’ such as teamwork, independent learning and problem solving to more tricky-to-measure skills such as:
- An appreciation for appropriate behaviour and dress
- Appropriate interpersonal skills
- Supporting other aspiring employees
- Personal manners and deportment
How the course is delivered
This Level 3 Diploma in Policing (540) is delivered via a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) which provides access to case studies, learning materials and activities, presentations and web links. Online tutor support and guidance is provided throughout the course, where learners can interact with the tutors, get feedback on their progress and submit their work electronically. This helps you to build the relevant skills progressively, as you receive feedback and support from your tutor during this time. As the course is delivered online, this enables learners to study any time, any place through immediate access to VLE.
All units will be internally assessed using a range of methods. This could include direct observation within the workplace, a portfolio of evidence and written assignments.