Level 3 Diploma in the Creative Music Industry (Entrepreneurship)
This OFQUAL regulated qualification will enable learners to gain knowledge of setting up a music business, music industry revenue flow and preparing them to pursue a career that rewards creativity and business know-how with impressive results
Learners will develop a sound understanding of digital distribution, music management, managing a social media campaign and financial skills. You will also gain understanding of contracts and copyright, managing a social network community, royalties, live event promotion and contextual issues relating to the music business and the wider music industry. You will also identify the key entrepreneurial skills required for a music business start-up and how to communicate a new business proposition.
Aims of the course
These are to:
- Identify key entrepreneurial skills required for a music business startup and create a business idea and supporting rationale
- Compile a portfolio that collates a range of evidence on entrepreneurs and business owners, and
- Identify common traits and characteristics
- Understand of revenue streams within the UK music industry by focusing on generating income from royalties.
- Identify a market opportunity for a new business and research and evidence a business case to demonstrate its viability
- Explore the mechanisms for the collection and distribution of royalties, the main organisations involved in this area of the music industry and how this knowledge may be applied to generating income from learners’ own musical activity.
- Develop a social media content strategy to promote an identified product or service.
- Develop a range of music-related merchandise ideas
- Understand how copyright of original works can be exploited to create revenue, with an understanding of the diversity of the marketplace in publishing music and the different organisations and companies
- Understand the means by which music can be published and the associated ways in which revenue might be generated.
While completing this qualification, learners may develop the knowledge, understanding and essential skills employers look for in employees. These range from familiar ‘key skills’ such as independent enquirers, Creative thinkers, Reflective learners, Team workers, Self-managers, Effective participators.
You will also gain employability skills such as
- Team work
- Decision making
- Verbal and non-verbal communication
- Creative thinking
- Skill awareness
- Analytical skills
- Report writing
To be awarded the Level 3 Diploma in the Creative Music Industry (Entrepreneurship) learners are required to successfully complete all the units below:
- Unit 1: Music Promotion
- Unit 2: Copyright and Music
- Unit 3: Working in the Music Industry
- Unit 4: Live Event Promotion
- Unit 5: Managing a Music Event
- Unit 6: Music Industry Revenue Flow
- Unit 7: Royalties and Music
- Unit 8: Digital Distribution
- Unit 9: Marketing Music
- Unit 10: Writing about Music
- Unit 11: Music Management
- Unit 12: Creating a Social Media (Content) Strategy
- Unit 13: Managing a Social Media Campaign
- Unit 14: Managing a Social Network Community
- Unit 15: Planning for a Career in Music
Optional Units are also available for develop additional skills
How the course is delivered
This Level 3 Diploma in the Creative Music Industry (Entrepreneurship) is delivered via blended learning. Learners also get full access to online Learning Environment (VLE) which provides access to case studies, learning materials and activities, presentations, and web links. Online tutor support and guidance is provided throughout the course, where learners can interact with the tutors, get feedback on their progress and submit their work electronically. Face to face interactions will be conducted through video sessions or within the classroom environment.
This qualification is designed for learners aged 16 and above who wish to develop skills and within the creative music industry. This qualification would suit learners that are interested in progressing onto further study or starting a career in the industry.